domingo, dezembro 20, 2009

About the Ends and How to Meet Andy Warhol

So, i'm on the bus, right, the A bus, coming back from the Magic Kingdom. The very last time I ever ride the A bus coming back from the Magic kingdom. Just chilling, trying to feel the moment, listen to some classic music on my friends ipod. We are the last ones to leave the bus, everyone says goodbye to the driver, he is really warm and replies them all politely. 


Then we drop off, he says goodbye and have a good night, to what I say, ' Have a nice life, 'cos this is the very last time i ride this bus, this is my last day at work', 'Have a nice life too', he says. I leave  the bus and hear a sound of a metal falling on the ground, do not mind, i keep my way. He calls and ask 'Is this yours?'. It was a pin, my Mickey Mouse pin, 'Yes, its mine and I want it! Thank you', I say. When I'm about to turn my back once more he says ' I met him once'. I wondered for a while: who did he meet, Mickey Mouse? Who? I asked. Andy Warhol - he replied me. I have this Andy Warhol pin on my purse, it took me a while to realize he had seen it and was talking about it. 


 - No way, you met Andy Warhol?! How come? Where?
 - It was at this party once, I was there and he was there, he was kind of the weird guy in the corner, minding his own work. It was not a long conversation, kinda 'hello, how you doing?" type, but, yes, I met him. 
 - Thats good enough for me. - I say. - Whereabouts? 
 - New York. - he tells me.  - I met Iggy Pop too. He was at the party. 


And then he tells me how he used to be a musician and said ' you know, you're a musician and then you're hanging out with your friends, all musicians, and next thing you know you're in the back scene, you're at these parties and meeting these people. Even if your not playing, you're in the back scene, you know"...


I ask him what happened to the music and if driving busses were any more exiting than playing, and he says 'no, but I need it' and tells me how he has a sun that was born with epilepsy and that it was hard and he was a single parent, but now the guy is better and when he turns 18 he, the father, is going to Japan to teach English and will meet a beautiful Japanese and marry her, and we talk about the Flaming Lips and Yoshimi and how they had to go to Japan to get recognized here in the US. He goes on a bit more about how you can teach for five years there and that, once there, he will, eventually, learn Japanese. 'Just don't get lost in translation', I said...


He says, "If you ever get into the music business, don't... Don't ever leave it. There will be a lot of times things will get hard, there's a lot of bad stuff in that business, depressions that go on for years and you think to yourself  'I wont want to do that when I'm forty...' - he says - " But, yes, you do, you will want to do that at forty, and fifty and at ninety two...".  


And then we split and I fail twice very badly in my attempts to light my cigarette. End up having to go back to the little bus drivers' center to ask for a lighter and, since I'm already there, used the time to say 'thank you' to the guys inside, even if they never drove me I thank them for doing it and say that their work made my work possible. We start conversing once more, Woody, the guy that had once met Andy Warhol, and I. 


He tells me "Don't ever let your boyfriend give up on music, even if times get hard". I say I wont, say I'll always be there for him, to support, to stop him from giving up when things get complicated.  I say goodbye and farewell for them and the A bus, the one I'll never more catch, and he says "and hey, maybe we will see each again", and I say "yeah, and you will be playing, I'll be in a bar and you and my boyfriend will be there, playing, and you guys are going to play together". 


 - I still have my guitar - he says, and tell me the name of the guitar, which, of course, I don't remember - Just like Jimmy Page's one. - He tells me. 
 - Is it a Fender? - I ask. 
 - No, its a Gibson. But I have a Fender as well, it wouldn't be Rock'n'Roll without a Fender! 
 - No, it wouldn't - I reply. - Well, bye then and it was very nice to have met you!
 - It was indeed very nice, too bad we only had this conversation now, at the very end. 

And then I say:


 - Yeah, but thats what ends are for, right? To bring  new beginnings... 


* * *


And yeah, thats what ends are for, to bring new beginnings, right? 

Nenhum comentário: